Book reviews make up a substantial portion of this blog. I firmly believe that doing my job well means keeping abreast of the sorts of books that are out there for my readers and their variety of tastes. As a result, I review as much as I can in the time that I have. I tend to get review copies of books from two places: professional conferences and sites like Edelweiss and NetGalley. I make a concerted effort to read all the review copies I receive, but occasionally my other professional commitments keep me from reading everything. That said, if I tell you I will read a book--for publicity events, book release blog tours, etc.--I will read it.
If you are interested in sending me books to review, please keep a few things in mind:
- I enjoy reading juvenile fiction from picture books right through young adult titles. This includes titles in a graphic novel format. I consider these materials for addition to collections in my library district.
- As far as non-fiction is concerned, I strive to look at titles appropriate for children through grade 6. I am particularly partial to non-fiction picture books and biographies. Series non-fiction takes a lot more time to review, but I'll review it when I can.
- I do not review, and thus will not accept at this time, adult books or self-published/vanity press titles.
- All physical review copies (i.e., not digital) see continued life after I read and review them. Sometimes I share them with colleagues who are interested in reviewing the title, but more often than not the books are used as reading incentives with young readers in my library.
- I cannot guarantee a positive review. I am, however, not interested in propagating negativity, so if I do not enjoy a title or think it will be enjoyed by young readers, I will not write about it on this blog. I am happy to send constructive criticism to those who provide review copies as requested.
I am happy to accept books to review at any stage, from galleys and ARCs to published titles. If you are interested in sending me a book to review, please e-mail me. Also, feel free to mention if you'd like me to post a review around a certain time (e.g., release date, blog tour, etc.); I will do my best to accommodate.